One of my bucket list entries includes the creation of a U.S.-based magazine that explores international travel through music – i.e. festival circuits, various pop spotlights, global musician ethnographies, etc. – kind of like if you were to pull out the music section of National Geographic and just publish that – with the inclusion of indigenous/traditional musics as well as current popular music. As far as I know, nothing exists (though I have found some good ones that almost take me there).
I do, however, have some favorite music magazines and wanted to share. They’re even alphabetical. Aren’t I nice? 🙂
1. Alternative Press -alt, punk, hardcore, metal, pop-punk news.
2. Clash – UK based, pop
3. Kerrang – a weekly rock magazine
4. MixMag – dance & club music
5. Mojo – UK Based, Pop & Classical Rock
6. Offbeat – the New Orleans music bible
7. Q – UK-based Music News & Reviews
8. Rolling Stone – still awesome. Music, politics, and pop culture.
9. Score – South India’s pop music mag
10. Spin – Rolling Stones’ US Rival. News, Reviews, etc.
11. Vibe – U.S. Hip-hop
12. Wire – “Adventures in Modern Music ”
P.S. If you know of anything I should be reading, let me know!