This past weekend, I took two friends to New Orleans, and as a whole it is forever on my top list as one of my favorite NOLA experiences.
- Jazz Fest: Glen David Andrews is my religion. I saw him twice this weekend – once at Jazz Fest, and later at DBA. Both experiences are unparalleled, and I’m pretty sure my friends and I made it into some national media shots during the jazz fest show. I’ll search around. Amanda Shaw and Trombone Shorty hopped on stage with him, followed by Irvin. The Radiators’ last Fest appearance – amazing show, but of course even more amazing because Camile’s a friend (I worked for his wife for several years). Kid Rock & Cowboy Mouth – both excellent. Preservation Hall Jazz Band – Seeger jumped on stage with them and there was a second line throughout the tent. What else can I say? Saw Mardi Gras Indians (incl. Bo Dollis Jr. – Wild Magnolias), saw an amazing Haitian arts/voodoo ceremony, Jesse McBride, Ellis & Jason Marsalis, and a bit of NOJO…
- Friday night: Big Freedia‘s CD Release Party w/ Katey Red, Sissy Nobby, & more.. amazing Bounce show w/ amazing friends.
- Saturday night: G-String Orchestra, Slow Danger Brass Band, Zydepunks. All amazing.
- Sunday night (post-jazz fest): lots of Frenchmen wandering & random musical artists
- Monday night: Threadhead Records party w/ Paul Sanchez & new solo artists from the Radiators… Glen David Andrews later on.. then Karaoke @ Checkpoint Charlies..
Needless to say, it was an action-packed weekend without much sleep and not a single day of getting in before 4am. Throw in a new tattoo, a trip the aquarium (penguins!!), lots of amazing food, perhaps a wee bit of absinthe & St. Germaine, watching the Kentucky Derby, a wind ensemble concert, lunch with an ex professor, lots of hugs from previous colleagues/professors/students, a few small parades, a pretty nifty job offer, picking up my last diploma, watching a string quartet of 12-yr-olds on a street corner, and about a million laughs… time well spent. My soul is rejuvenated for a bit. Now to plan for this monster drum workshop at Bonnaroo…
- Jazz Fest 2011 or How My Sister Scared Me to Death (cooktraveleat.com)
- Jazz Fest 2011| New Orleans | First Weekend | Pics (jambase.com)
- Watch NOLA JazzFest Performances From Arcade Fire, Jeff Beck, And More On iClips And Rollingstone.com This Weekend (wzlx.radio.com)
- Around The Jazz (ninanehemiah.wordpress.com)
- New Orleans Jazz Fest after hours (cnn.com)
- Jazz Fest not just a musical feast (pbpulse.com)